Child abduction

Child abduction

As a parent, one of the most common difficulties you will face after separating from your partner is deciding where your children should live.

A parent who takes matters into their own hands by taking their child to a different country without the consent of the other may be committing a criminal offence.

If you suspect your child has been abducted, it is essential that you act quickly.

We understand the distress and anxiety of losing your child and we can help you.

Our expert team of child abduction solicitors will work round the clock to help ensure you are reunited. We will take immediate action to track them down through the appropriate legal channels. We have extensive experience in pursuing successful cases around the world, including Europe, the Middle East, the USA, Australasia and the Far East.

‘Thank you for your continued vigilance regarding this case. Your representation has been exemplary throughout and the actions of you and your team have been crucial in obtaining and securing transfer of custody’ Anonymous

We can also help locate a child that has been brought to the UK without your consent.

How to establish child abduction

There are several key questions that will help identify if your child has been abducted:

  • is your child under 16?
  • have they been removed from the country where they usually live or wrongfully kept in a different country?
  • were you seeing your child at the time the removal/retention took place?

If the answer to these is yes, you may be able to begin urgent child abduction proceedings to secure their return.

If you have come to the UK from another country with your child, we can advise on your position and whether you have grounds to remain here. Taking urgent advice in this situation is just as important as when your child has been taken.

International agreements

The Hague Convention sets out a framework to aid the safe return of an abducted child to their country of residence.  A large number of countries have signed this agreement, including the UK. If your child has been taken to one of these countries, or one with another international agreement, this can assist us in securing their return to you as quickly as possible.
Where there is no inter-country agreement in place, we can obtain orders from the English court.  We will then instruct specialist child abduction lawyers in the country where your child has been taken to enforce them in that country.

Accredited as specialists

As experts in this field we are recommended by Reunite, the leading UK charity specialising in international parental child abduction, on their list of solicitors.

Get in touch immediately

Swift action is paramount in child abduction cases. If you suspect your child is about to be taken out of the country contact us immediately so we can advise on what action you should take to prevent their removal.

We’re here for you 24 hours a day - contact us on 0800 840 4929 during office hours or contact Vicki McLynn directly on 07920 596531 outside of normal working hours.

Call us free on:

0800 0384 384

Or contact us online:

What time would you prefer us to contact you?

  • 122, 402, 403, 404, 407, 405, 408, 406, 409, 410, 411, 412, 413, 414, 416, 417, 418, 92, 441, 429, 430, 431, 432, 433, 434, 435, 436, 437, 438, 439, 440, 445, 444
  • 122, 402, 403, 404, 407, 405, 408, 406, 409, 410, 411, 412, 413, 414, 416, 417, 418, 92, 441, 429, 430, 431, 432, 433, 434, 435, 436, 437, 438, 439, 440, 445, 444